Giles has over 35 years experience in legionella control, four as a water treatment service provider in the mid-1980s and as a consultant since 1989. In addition to a career as a hands-on consultant active in the commercial, industrial and healthcare sectors, he has developed policies and procedures for water hygiene management in buildings, has developed risk assessment systems and training courses and has contributed to guidance and standards, investigated outbreaks of legionnaires’ disease and given evidence in Crown Court in the capacity of an expert witness.
- Contributor to the Health and Safety Executive’s 2014 guidance on the control of legionella bacteria in water, known as HSG274 part 2 and, through the Water Management Society, the 1999 guide known as L8 which it replaced.
- Led the WMSoc, LCA and BACS in drafting the HSE guidance on cooling tower fill pack removal, now incorporated into HSG274 part 1 The control of legionella bacteria in evaporative cooling systems.
- Co-author of three editions of Technical Memorandum TM13, Minimising the risk of legionnaires’ disease (CIBSE 2000, 2002 and 2013).
- Co-author of British Standard 8580-1: 2019 Water quality –Risk assessments for Legionella control –Code of practice and the 2010 edition it supersedes.
- Co-author of British Standard 8680 Water quality –Water Safety Plans –Code of practice due for publication 2020.
- Co-author of British Standard 8580-2: 2022 Water quality –Risk assessments for Pseudomonas aeruginosa and other waterborne pathogens –Code of practice.
- Developed basic and advanced legionella control syllabuses, training courses and examinations with the British Occupational Hygiene Society (BOHS) and in consultation with the Health and Safety Executive (HSE).
- Co-author of British Standard 8551:2011 Provision and management of temporary water supplies and distribution networks (not including provisions for statutory emergencies). Now superseded.
- Contributor to British Standard PD 855468:2015 Guide to the flushing and disinfection of services supplying water for domestic use within buildings and their curtilages
- Co-author of several technical guides from the Water Management Society.
- Expert Witness and Outbreak Investigation Capability.
Professional Qualifications and Membership
- Higher National Certificate – Chemistry
- Fellow of the Water Management Society (WMSoc).
- Member of the Executive Council of the WMSoc
- Former Chairman of the WMSoc.
- Chairman of the WMSoc Technical Committee for 17 years.
- Former chairman and director of the LCA.